Genealogy of the Rigg, Hargleroad, Orchard, Mortensen and Allied Families
An interesting glimpse into some of our Hargleroad family’s activities in the 1800s. John, and his son, Michael, are our direct ancestors. Article published in “The Chambersburg Register” of Jan. 17, 1908. (I left in the spellings in the original article used for the Hargleroad and also highlighted mentions of our direct ancestors.)
The Harglerode farm near Guilford Springs, once owned by John Hargleroad — Descended to his sons, and is now the Burkholder Property.
What was for many years known as the Hargelrode Farm, is situated along the Chambersburg and Greencastle road, 3 miles south of the county seat, the land now being owned by William Burkholder. Early in the 18th century John Hargelrode came to this county from Lancaster County, and soon thereafter was married to Miss Elizabeth Etter, who had been born and raised in the vicinity of what is now the village of Guilford Springs, and not far from the land of which her husband subsequently became the owner. In what year Mr. Harghelrode bought the farm is not definitely known, but he resided thereon until his death, which occurred in 1834. Shortly before his death he had plans prepared for a new farm dwelling that was to have taken the place of the log building in which he lived, and which had, doubtless, been erected before Franklin county was organized. He died before the work on the new structure had been begun.
After his death, two of his sons, Jacob and Michael Hargelrode became the owners of the farm, the joint ownership continuing until 1850 when Michael purchased the interest of this brother and became sole owner. It was not long after the death of their father that the two brothers named erected the farm dwelling which is yet standing and is fairly well preserved. The plan of the building which their father had prepared was followed by the brothers. It stands on an eminence on the east side of the highway referred to — the barn, which was possibly erected almost the same time that the house was built, occupying a site directly west of the road. Michael Harghelrode remained in possession of the farm until 1874 when he disposed of it and removed to the west, locating in Nebraska, on a homestead that he had taken up.
Children of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Harghelrode:
Michael Hargelrode and wife had the following children, all of whom were born on the old homestead:
The father, Michael Harghelrode, was one of Guilford township’s substantial citizens, and a successful tiller of the soil. He died in the west, his death having occurred in 1904. His wife died in 1882. Several years ago, one of the daughters, Mrs. Coover, of New Franklin, visited her brothers and sisters in the west, and as all then met, a photograph of the group was taken, a reproduction of which appears in connection with this sketch.
[A section about Mr. and Mrs. Coover’s family is in original article.]
William H. Burkholder now owns and occupies the “Harghelrode Homestead,” having purchased it about four years ago. The farm is a valuable one, being well adapted for the raising of stock, the stream known as Guilford Springs passing through a number of the fields. Accompanying this is an illustration of the farm dwelling and of the barn, a portion of the public highway which passes between the farm buildings also appearing in the illustration.
Descendents of Michael E. and Elizabeth Brugh Hargleroad
Taken in September, 1904
Photo of adult Hargleroad children taken after their father, Michael Hargleroad, died. His daughters, Kate Hargleroad Coover came to Nebraska from Pennsylvania and Lilly Hargleroad Evans came from California.